In modern conditions of globalization with a steady growth of aviation markets of China, India, and other developing countries, the labor market needs professionals with higher technical education in the field of aviation and rocket production. Faculty of Aircraft and Space Systems (FASS) of the famous and authoritative Ukrainian institute of higher education Igor SIkorsky KPI is able to provide global industry by the exactly such specialists.
FASS is one of the youngest faculties of the university. It was created according to the decision of the University Council in May 1993 for the implementation of the requirements of Ukraine as a sovereign state of aviation and space. Now the scope of the Faculty activities has gone far beyond the national framework.
For its centenary Igor SIkorsky KPI has revived traditions of flying machines advancement, which were laid in the early twentieth century in works of professor M. B. Delone, elaborations of aircraft designer I. I. Sikorsky and the spaceship designer S. P. Korolev. All of them were the legendary students of the KPI.
The educational process is carried out on the basis of educational and scientific complexes that have arisen as a combination of departments and research institutes. The faculty consists of 4 departments, 3 research institutes, Research Center and a branch of Institute of Pre-Admission Training
1. Department of Aircraft Control Devices and Systems (graduating department of specialty "Avionics", specializations "Aircrafts and Helicopters", "Control Systems of Aircrafts and Complexes"). The department was founded in 1993 simultaneously with the creation of the Faculty.
Department trains specialists in development, design, testing and operation of the movable unit systems, design and manufacture of rockets, space, and aviation technics. Specialists training is based on the modern achievements of the world and domestic science as well as on the results of the latest developments of the Department, in cooperation with Ukrainian and foreign partners.
2. Department of Automation of Experimental Studies (graduating department of specialty "Metrology and Information-Measuring Technique", specialization "Information Measuring Technologies and Systems") was founded in 1978.
Department prepares IT specialists in programming, computer engineering and information measuring technology for the development and operation of computer systems, measurement, research and comprehensive testing of complex objects. Department experts are engaged in computerization of scientific and technical experiments, a computer system for testing and research of new equipment and technologies, computer control and diagnosis of complex technical systems, computer systems for monitoring, forecasting, and modeling of technical, biological and natural objects.
3. Department of Information and Measuring Technics (graduating department of specialty "Metrology and Measuring Technique", specialization Information Measuring Technologies and Systems") was founded in 1945.
Department prepares specialists for work in the field of experimental informatics (measurement, control, diagnostics, tests). Specialists of the department are engaged in Internet-measurement technologies; information and Internet technologies in scientific research and education; virtual instruments, systems, and laboratories; certification of various products of computer measuring systems and expert systems of control, monitoring, forecasting, diagnostics.
4. Department of Theoretical Mechanics (General Department) was established in 1898 - in the year of the foundation of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute.
The main activity of the Department is teaching of theoretical mechanics and other disciplines at all the machine building and instrument-making departments of KPI. Theoretical Mechanics is of great importance in the training of engineers because it is a basis of almost all mechanical disciplines such as the strength of materials, vibration theory, theory of elasticity, hydromechanics, and the like.
At the FASS Scientific Center of Critical Technologies of Navigation Instrument Engineering functions. Specialists of Center are engaged in scientific research and carry out engineering studies of inertial sensors, navigation equipment and systems, and aircraft control systems.
1. Interdisciplinary Research Institute for Problems in Mechanics "Rhythm". The Institute includes a Laboratory of Inertial Control Systems, Laboratory of Optoelectronic Devices, and a Laboratory of Circuit Engineering.
2. Research Institute of Automation of Experimental Studies. Specialists of the Institute together with the students perform research and development activities in testing of aircrafts and elements of space technics, development of embedded software for telecommunication systems, development of smart sensors networks, control and check of technological processes, environmental monitoring, information protection, synthesis and analysis of sound and images, testing of electronic equipment, computerization of mechanical and acoustic tests, as well as networking technologies.
3. Research Institute of Experimental Informatics and Metrology. Specialists of the Institute together with the students perform research and development works in the field of theoretical issues of measurement characteristics of multi-dimensional processes and physical fields (acoustic, vibroacoustic, electromagnetic, thermal), reproducing of sources of physical and biological fields; development of theoretical foundations of experimental informatics (measurement, control, diagnostics); development of smart tools for measurement, control, diagnostic and testing; developing the methods for improving the accuracy, sensitivity and security, broadening the frequency range of means of experimental informatics.